Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Prayer for Private Bowe Bergdahl

The American Military yesterday condemned the Taliban for releasing a propaganda video that showed a captured soldier pleading for US troops to be withdrawn from Afghanistan. The Pentagon named the private as Bowe Bergdahl 23, from Idaho. A 28 minute video of Private Bergdahl was posted on the Internet, showing the soldier in good health, but saying he was scared and was missing his family. It is believed to be the first time in two years that a US serviceman has been captured in either Iraq or Afghanistan.

The Taliban said the video was dated July 14, although it is impossible to verify the date. The military in Afghanistan has been distributing leaflets calling for the return of the private, who said he was picked up by the Taliban after falling behind while on patrol. Last week, Mawlavi Sangin, a Taliban commander in the Piktika province, the southeastern area where Bowe went missing on June 30th, said " we are holding the soldier and would kill him if the US applied pressure to find him. Afghani and US troops have been searching for Bowe for two weeks and offering a reward for help. Locals have told them that the Taliban was planning to smuggle the soldier across the border into Pakistan, but ruled that out because of US missile strikes and Pakistani bombing attacks against military targets in the area.

" I'm scared. I'm scared I won't be able to go home. It is very unnerving to be a prisoner," Private Bergdahl says in the video. He is dressed in loose Afghan clothing, appearing with a shaved head and a light beard, drinking tea and eating-but he is clearly being directed what to say. " I have a girlfriend who is hoping to marry. I have my grandparents. I have a very,very good family back home in America," he says, and then a voice off camera prompts " miss them". The soldier then continues: " And I miss them everyday that I'm gone. I miss them and I am afraid that I might never see them again and that I'll never be able to tell them I love them again. I'll never be able to hug them." Later the voice prompts " Any message to your people?" Private Bergdahl then adds: " Yes. To my fellow Americans who have loved ones over here who know what it's like to miss them: you have the power to make our Government bring them home. Please, Please bring us home so that we can be back where we belong and not over here, wasting our time, and our lives. It is America who has that power."

Private Bergdahl's Father, Bob Bergdahl said yesterday: " We hope and pray for our son's safe return to his comrades and then to our family, and we appreciate all the support and expressions of sympathy shown to us by our family members, our friends and others across the nation."

Because of this article, I decided that it would be necessary to post this prayer that I wrote, asking for God to watch over Private Bergdahl and that he his released and returned home safe and sound.


Please pray this with me-


Lord,

Watch over your servant Bowe. May he feel Your loving presence during these dark times. Help him to grow in faith and trust in You. Help him to know that he is not alone because You are right beside him. Father, please return Private Bowe to his home safe and sound so that he may continue to do your will and give you glory forever and ever. Amen

Please feel free to include an Our Father, Hail Mary and a Glory be shortly after reciting this prayer.


Thank you

4 comments:

  1. John,
    Thank you for sharing this story and for the beautiful heart felt prayer. Heaven is being stormed for this young man because of this one post.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you only knew how grateful his family (and he) would be if they could see your post.
    I have prayed your beautiful prayer and I thank you for your heartfelt sharing of this story.
    As a wife of a Gulf War Veteran, I can tell you that the prayers of others are what SUSTAINS those who are separated in time of war! Thanks John!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a son serving in Iraq so this story brought tears to my eyes. I have written his name down on my desk and pray for him and his family often. Please...everyone who reads this please please keep praying for our soldier and all the others fighting for our freedom. God Bless them all!

    ReplyDelete